Product Spotlight: Organic Grapes
Grapes are one of the most popular snacking fruits. Table grape varieties are most often larger in size than wine grapes, and have been propagated to be seedless with relatively thin skins. The combination of their unique texture and sweet/tart flavor makes this refreshing treat the perfect addition to any meal.
Good Life Organic™ Grapes are available May-November from the US, and May and June from Mexico.
Available Pack Sizes
Good Life Organic™ Red Seedless Grapes 9/2lb
Good Life Organic™ Green Seedless Grapes 9/2lb
Good Life Organic™ Black Seedless Grapes 9/2lb
Retail Merchandising Strategies
- Red and Green seedless grapes are a staple, surprise consumers by offering black grapes.
- The more space you can give to grapes, the better your sales will be. Research by the California Table Grape Commission shows that displays that are more than 25 feet can increase sales up to 63% over 18 foot displays
- Summer: Promote grapes as an easy to pack snack for summertime outings, they are the perfect grab and go snack for families that are on the move.
- Fall: Promote grapes as a healthy addition to kids’ lunch boxes. They are also an easy addition to fruit trays for game-day parties and tailgates.
- Winter: Promote red and green grapes as part of your holiday promotions. Cheese and grape trays are popular for holiday parties.
- Spring: Grapes are the perfect addition to salads, and can be promoted with other salad vegetables as consumers are looking for lighter meals as the weather warms up.
Food Service Ideas
- Add sliced grapes to breakfast bars as a mix-in with yogurt or granola.
- Include grapes in green and fruit salads and in salad bars.
- Offer a unique dessert by dipping frozen grapes in chocolate.
- TIP: Grapes can be peeled; make it easier by putting them in boiling water for 30 seconds, then place them in cold water before peeling them.
- Keep grapes cold! Grapes are the best when they are stored in the refrigerator at 30-32 F.
- Store them unwashed. Don’t rinse grapes before storing them, extra moisture will speed up the decay process.
- Keep grapes in the original packaging. They are best kept in the original packaging because the container has the right amount of covering and ventilation to extend shelf life.
- In the store: Grapes can be displayed without refrigeration for 24 hours. Their shelf life on a refrigerated display is 48 hours.
There are over 8,000 grape varieties worldwide.
Grapes are botanically modified as berries.
The average person eats 3.6kg of grapes per year.
Grapes are 80% water so they are low in calories.
On average, one acre of grapes can produce around 15,000 glasses of wine.
TidBits is a blog by Veg-Fresh Farms, a place to find training, trends, recipes, and more. Check back weekly for retail and food service insights, as well as what's happening in the Veg-Fresh Farms Test Kitchen.